Thursday, January 27, 2011

War Movies

         I had a hard time remembering all of the war films I have seen in my life so I looked up the top 100 greatest and ran through it to see which I have seen:

All Quiet on the Western Front                                  Behind Enemy Lines
Saving Private Ryan                                                         Tears of the Sun
Full Metal Jacket (Parts of it)                                       Kingdom of Heaven
Black Hawk Down                                                            Alexander
Troy                                                                                       Glory
Tropic Thunder (If that counts)                                  Pearl Harbor

I love war movies. I have always had a fascination with warfare and combat in general. The only books I have ever liked were ones involving war. I can only think of a few movies that I like that don’t have any guns or action whatsoever in them. My life is full of things involving guns. I have paintball and air soft guns, the movies I watch have guns, the games I play always have guns and the books I read talk about them. I have thought about joining the military, specifically the Air Force or the Army, several times because of my fascination with war and I am still leaving it as an option after high school. 

The more I talk about it the more I become involved and interested. Even while writing this I get jittery to look ups new things for my paintball gun or different types of guns I can get, mainly air soft, BB and paintball seeing how I have no need for an actual gun. All of these interests are shown in my movie selection. War movies are my favorite of all genres of movies and I can’t see that changing any time soon.  I find them very interesting. I am constantly identifying the guns, looking at the things they wear and the technical jargon that is said when I watch war films. Another reason I like them most is because they are the most relatable. I can almost perfectly picture myself in the film, shooting the guns, making decisions and being the hero. 

These films are perfect for me because of my personality. I relate with the common theme seen throughout these types of films of sticking to your squad mates and having the type of instant reactions to save a fellow soldier despite the situation that soldiers must have.  I don’t think I would crack under the type of pressure that they go through. When we had to answer the question whether or not it was better to “let nine guilty men go free than have one innocent man go to jail” I found myself thinking about the situation if I was in it. I would gladly be the one innocent man to go to jail and have nine other guilty follow me. I have always being willing to take “hits for the team” to help others and I have never had a problem with it or have I ever second guessed my decision.

I feel that I’m getting a little to excited about the whole subject and you can probably tell I could write about this for hours so with me being sidetracked  I will bring this to a close by saying, I love war movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment